Re: IP Addresses

Fri, 5 Jun 1998 01:50:58 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Paul Wolf wrote:
> Why are there some IP addresses that never change at
> reflector sites while individual users have their
> IP addresses change every session?

>From what I've been able to see, static IP addresses are mainly used for
machines that are always up and need to be the same address (ie: they're
servers). Dynamic IPs are used at ISPs so multiple users can share the
same IP at different times. If an ISP has 10,000 customers but only 500
modems, there's no need in assigning 10,000 IP addresses since only 500 of
them can be in use at any one time thru a dialup.

> And where does one find his changing IP address on a
> PC since I am a Mac user trying to communicate with
> someone on a PC who does not know where to find his
> changing IP address.

The one way I know that doesn't require any other software:
Start -> Run -> type in "winipcfg" and it will run a program that comes
witn Win95 to tell you the IP address.
There are also numerous programs out there that do that. If you have
Cornell CU-SeeMe 0.9X/1.0, the IP address is listed in the bottom right.