Re: Win98 does not boot - its not an operating system !

Sat, 6 Jun 1998 03:05:32 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, Rolf Hemmerling wrote:
> WIN 3.x, WFW 3.x, WIN9x are no operating systems, because You canīt boot
> from then. Its just a "GUI with system extensions",still. You must first
> boot MSDOS, and then WINxxx is loaded. Thatīs it :-)

>From my online webster's dictionary:
operating system n
(1961)
:software that supports or complements the hardware of a computer system
(as by keeping track of the different programs in multiprogramming)

Being able to boot off of floppy doesn't constitute an operating system as
far as I know. The whole MacOs can't fit on floppy either, is it not an
operating system? Solaris can't fit on a floppy, is it not an operating
system?

As far as DOS/Windows. It's sort of more advanced than that. Windows
3.1/95/98 does sit on top of MS-DOS, but it also provides the services
that define an operating system. It "extends" it.

>From Operating System Concepts: Fifth Edition (Silbershatz & Galvin) "An
operating system is a program that acts as an intermediary between a user
of a computer and the computer hardware. The purpose of an operating
system is to provide an environment in which a user can execute programs
in convenient and efficient manner."

With that kind of definition, it's kind of like playing "which came first?
DOS or Windows?" I believe Windows NT isn't based upon DOS itself so it
CAN be considered a true operating system. In unix, I've seen a lot of
people mistake the shell they use as being the operating system. The
shell is just on top of the operating system.

Hmm..trying to relate this CU can be a bit tough...CU runs on many
operating systems. :)