Re: IP Addresses

Sat, 6 Jun 1998 03:11:47 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, Rolf Hemmerling wrote:
> This all will change with the new forthcoming IPv6 protocol, while we
> are now all still using the IPv4 protocol. IPv6 has a bigger namespace
> so that even Your forthcoming toaster powered by
> WINDOWS-FOR-WATERCLOSETS has its own ip :-)

The introduction of IPv6 is also taking about 10 years. A LOT of code
will break as well since very few systems support IPv6 as it stands now.
I've been reading thru Steven's "Unix Network Programming" book which
talks a bit about how to develop applications with IPv6 and IPv4 support.
It's not an easy thing to do.

The huge namespaces for IP addresses is good, but legacy apps will be hard
to convert. Going from 32-bit addressing to 128-bit addressing breaks a
lot of things. IPv4 will be around for quite awhile. :)

> Tell Your grand-grand children about this in 50 years, and they will be
> very astounded and astonished !

It'll also mean that people will rely on DNS servers a LOT more. Only the
true diehards will memorize 128-bit IP addresses. I believe CU breaks as
well in an IPv6 world.