Re: Difference in vid speeds between White Pine and Cornell

Sat, 6 Jun 1998 04:02:02 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, David Toole wrote:
> I've noticed a real difference on some refs between the speed of videos
> I receive using Cornell 1.0 and White Pine 3.1.1 (build 16). For
> example, logged on to a ref last night (listed as an eref1.07b9) with
> Cornell, and vids were extremely slow, almost frozen. Immediately
> afterward I tried White Pine Cu-SeeMe and they were extremely
> fast--about the best I've seen. I've experienced this on a number of
> occaisions. I'm using the same codec with both (the White Pine m-jpeg)
> and all other settings are the same.

The codec YOU use has no bearing on the vids you receive. I've usually
always experienced just the opposite. Vids on 3.1.1 have ALWAYS been
rather slow for me except when connecting with MPCS which 3.1.1 is
optimized for. It also depends a lot on what your receive settings are
between the two clients. If your receive settings are higher (and your
connection supports it) on the WP version, you'll receive more data.
Otherwise, the way I understand it, it's up to the reflector to regulate
how much data it sends to the client. Perhaps packet loss was lowered
after awhile after you switche (less congestion at the routers). The next
time that happens, go back to the 1.0 version after receiving good quality
vids from 3.1.1. See what happens.

> Any ideas why this would happen. I much prefer Cornell 1.0, but it's not
> much fun when it produces slower vids. This isn't always the case, but
> often enough that I notice it.

It's weird..since all I've heard is how fast the vids are with Cornell.
Perhaps 3.1.1 handles packet loss better? I'm not sure.