Re: RAM and Video speed

Phil (chrome@lcol.net)
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 04:48:38 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Dietz <gdietz@wpine.com>
To: CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
Date: Tuesday, June 09, 1998 2:54 AM
Subject: RAM and Video speed

>>On Sat, 6 Jun 1998, Phil wrote:
>>> If you have less than 64 megs of RAM it's likely to crash. However, it
>>> runs rather well (within certain limitations) if you feed it 64 megs of
>>> RAM and run a PCI bus video capture card.
>
>That is utter nonsense. I know of (and myself) run 3.0/3.1/3.11 on a
100Mhz
>Pent with 24Mb or RAM (32Mb is recommended).

Is your hard drive rather busy?

I've run CU v2.1 on a 100mhz Pentium, and the performance was bad enough to
persuade me to buy a faster motherboard about a year ago. (AMD K6/133 MMX)
Maybe I'm just a stickler for performance?

As I stated in an earlier post, my USR Bigpicture cam's software may be
partly to blame for the shortage of memory. There may be other factors in
my environment that are causing the shortage.

I run ICQ whenever I'm online. I run a 24-bit color display. I run a
couple handy-dandy utilities such as Dunce (Dialup Networking Connection
Enhancement).

Utter nonsense or not, White Pine CuSeeMe crashed after a few minutes every
time I ran it until I went from 32 megs to 64 megs. Maybe it was the 33rd
meg that fixed my system, but it absolutely didn't run well with only 32
megs.

Phil