Re: RAM and Video speed

Phil (chrome@lcol.net)
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 04:51:55 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Dietz <gdietz@wpine.com>
To: Phil <chrome@lcol.net>
Cc: CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
Date: Wednesday, June 10, 1998 1:38 PM
Subject: Re: RAM and Video speed

>Phil,
>
>Don't know if you tried, but there are certain parallel port settings at
>the CMOS level, as well as updated drivers from Connectix that speed up CU
>3.X. Also, I believe 3.1 fixed most of the Connectix slowness issues found
>in 3.0

I must begin this reply by stating "your mileage may vary".

I did try the latest drivers from Connectix.

I had very poor performance from all parallel port settings. SPP is
naturally the worst, ECP is bad, EPP is poor. EPP is also problematic to
install, you have to do it by enabling EPP in Win95 before rebooting and
reconfiguring CMOS, or Win95 is likely to give you a rude surprise. (That
is, NOT boot!)

I've never run v3.0 of White Pine CuSeeMe. I have run v2.1, 2.1.1, 3.1, and
3.1.1. Version 3.1 was very slow when using the color Quickcam, where v2.1
and 2.1.1 were not. This isn't just related to video. The entire system
labored while running v3.1 with the color Quickcam. CUSeeMe itself took
about 30 seconds to respond to clicking on an icon in the main (not dialer)
window. Other programs suffered as well.

I haven't tried a color Quickcam with 3.1.1 because mine finally died, to be
replaced by a USR Bigpicture. This change resulted in CUSeeMe and
everything else running MUCH faster, but CUSeeMe crashed after 3-5 minutes
every time. Adding RAM fixed the crashes.

Phil