Re: CUSEEME Requirements Question?

Sat, 13 Jun 1998 02:06:49 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, Onie Camara wrote:
> Hi! We have a client and they want to setup a video conferencing within
> their LAN.

As long as they don't have computers with dialup adapters AND on the LAN,
it should work fine.

> 1. What should be the requirement of their PC machines to achieve good
> video conferencing?

I use a Pentium-133 with 32 megs RAM with a Winnov capture card and it
runs great. If you go with White Pine's version, make sure you have at
least 32 megs of memory. (Some would suggest 64 megs)

> 2. What brand of video cam for pc should we proposed? (Is Connectix
> good?)

I like the Winnov, but it's a bit more expensive and is a capture card
solution. (http://www.winnov.com). If you don't mind the computer
slowing down somewhat, the Quickcam will work as well.

> 3. What type of machine should I used for the Reflector Software?

A midsize Pentium with 16-32 megs ram and Brian Godette's Enhanced
Reflector (http://www.dimensional.com/~bgodette) should work nicely for
smaller conferences (10-15 people). Add more people and you may need more
RAM.

If I were to run a reflector, I'd use a flavor of Unix though..but I'm
biased. :)

> 5. What can you say about the performance of Cuseeme with a leased line
> speed of 128k?

The LAN is 128K for all participants? You should be able to get 4-5
participants on it sending at 15-20kbps with no problem. For one
participant on 128K..well.it does work though much slower than the
internal LAN solution.

> 6. What should be the appropriate leased line speed to achieve good
> video conferencing?

It depends on how you define "good". If you want high frame rates and
decent quality, I'd go for a T1 (1.5Mbps) or better.