Re: Tales of the wierd CU

Sun, 14 Jun 1998 01:47:24 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 13 Jun 1998, Jerry Singleton wrote:
> This is my first post here and I hope that I can get some help.

Welcome to the madness Jerry :)

> It seems that when this user connects to either a reflector or on a
> direct connect, they time out after about 10 mins.

When you say "time out"..do you mean a timeout from the reflector/DC? Or
do you mean some message pops up and says "We're sorry..you're demo
expire?". It sounds to me like their settings are hosed or they're ISP
doesn't have the bandwidth for CU. If that happens, the modem will be
flooded with packets that it can't keep up with and eventually will
timeout. This used to happen a lot on older clients.

One easy way to check it using the Cornell version (I don't think there's
a way to do it with ANY WP version) is to click the IP address in the
participants list and you'll see a section on the right for "Link
Response" That SHOULD be under 2-3 or so (2-3 seconds). If they see it
creep upward constantly and never go back down, that'd be a sign of a
saturated connection. The only cure for that is a faster modem, correct
dialup settings, and/or an ISP that can keep up with the bandwidth.