Re: Why White Pine connects slower than Cornell?

Tue, 16 Jun 1998 00:44:53 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, David Toole wrote:
> Can anyone tell me why Cornell 1.0 is able to connect, or to tell me a
> ref is full, much faster than White Pine 3.1? Cornell, with the quick
> connect enabled, is very fast. With White Pine I often have to wait
> 10-20 seconds before being told I can't log on to a ref because it is
> full, or to make a connection. Is this just the nature of the beast, or
> am I missing some White Pine setting that I should be changing?

The key is in the Quick Connect option. What that does is prevent the
attempt to connect with port 7648 on the reflector for the conference
selection menu. The connect sometimes takes awhile and returns the
conferences, etc. The White Pine version doesn't have an option to cut
that feature on and off so you're stuck with potentially slow TCP
connects.

It also depends a lot on what type of reflecto you try connecting with. I
know Cornell and Enhanced Reflectors let you dial back as soon as you
don't get a connection. White Pine 2.1 reflectors and MPCS servers seem
to put a temporary ignore on your IP which prevents fast connects. A good
dialer like CUnnect98 can show this in action.