Re: Some Answers About 1.0

Fri, 19 Jun 1998 10:39:06 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, Si Ballenger wrote:
> With nobody left at cornell to keep refining the program, the idea of
> selling it while its value is still high is a good possibility (actual
> chance to beak even or make money on a project).
> I think $$$ will prevail.

You're mistaken in a few things here. Cornell (as far as I know) never
SPENT direct money to develop CU-SeeMe. It was all funded in the way of
grants by the NSF (National Science Foundation Award Number: NCR-9318337)
unlike White Pine who spent a lot of money to develop CU-SeeMe.

Cornell is a University and I don't believe is in the business to make
money like White Pine is. Unlike the ICQ fiasco (a very sad thing), only
one of the companies is a commercial endeavor.

And actually, I believe Cornell is OBLIGATED to give (not sell) the source
code to White Pine...afterall, White Pine DOES have a license with Cornell
for the code.