Re: "Push to Talk" conflict

Jon P. Brumbach (brumbach@isomedia.com)
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 18:31:39 -0700

At 05:19 PM 6/19/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I want to know if anyone has encountered the same incident like I do.
>The "push to talk" button must be pressed in order to hear. Without
>doing so, I can only get the motorboat & machinegun sounds. Seem this
>button also function as push to hear. I'm running the CU-SeeMe on
>Pentium Pro 180 MHz with 16 RAM.But if I run the CU-SeeMe with Pentium
>II, this problem doesn't occur. Do u guys face this problem too? Any
>explanation?
[snip]

Yatie,

Ahhh!!! You don't know how good it is to hear from someone else who has
experienced this problem!! Actually, I don't anymore, but did when I had a
BCI soundcard with an ESS chip....my guess is that you have a Sounblaster
compatible card with the ESS chip. Unfortunately, I tried everything,
especially when the darn sound started working correctly spontaneously one
day. Could never get it to work right though in a repeatable or consistent
way, and most of the time, it didn't work at all.

I finally gave up and got a true Soundblaster card. Haven't had a problem
since.

The machine gun (or as I called it, idling diesel locomotive) sounds is the
frequency "hanging" on whatever was the last nano second of transmitted
sound before you let go of the "push to talk button".

Wish I had a better solution for you, but I think your best bet is to get a
Soundblaster (or a clone card that someone on the list knows to work).

Good luck,

Jon