Re: Some Answers About 1.0

Sat, 20 Jun 1998 10:35:10 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, Ralph D'Andrea wrote:
> Andy, I use both versions. I don't know how WP views it, but I've
> always viewed it not as a competing product, but as parallel evolution.

It can be viewed as parallel..except when a large percentage of people
start choosing the Cornell version for specific reasons and White Pine
realizes profit losses because of it. The "home user" market is the one I
see currently using the Cornell version. Big corporations and
companies with internal LANs benefit more from the feature set of the WP
version.

I believe both White Pine and Cornell have stated that there is no
competition between them. From Cornell's perspective I can understand.
They don't stand to lose any money because of White Pine's version. White
Pine, on the other hand, does. There's a market out there that can be
tapped if White Pine handles things differently than it has been. That
market seems to be going with the Cornell and older White Pine version.

If you become totally oblivious to the money making aspect, ALL
videoconferencing programs can be seen as a parallel evolution. And yet,
White Pine stock is worth much less now than it was two years ago. The
competition IS out there.