Re: Martyne, Cornell, The Great Conspiracy...

Sat, 20 Jun 1998 13:31:01 -0500

Jason Williams wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. wrote:
> > Kevin Feeney wrote:
> > > She's not an instructor or prof. AD is a full time job already.
> > I hope the rest of you feel the same and that we can finally put this
> > lengthy, costly and tiresome dialogue to bed.
>
> As I've said before...a lot of questions have been answered which is good.
> But the final "official" version remains to be seen. I'd like to know how
> support will be handled, etc. The same things that Martyne has yet to
> figure out as well. If the final "official" version is feature-stripped,
> a lot of people will be unhappy.
>
> I'd like to see the few remaining bugs fixed from the current
> 1.0 build and then released (added support for YUV9 would be a godsend as
> well). If 1.0 is released as-is, a lot of people will question why it's
> being released two months after it has been ready. We've been told (by
> Martyne) that the delay in the release is due to having a new team come in
> and that will fix the bugs that fix the "incompatibilities with certain
> reflectors". If these bugs haven't been fixed, people will question why
> it took so long.
>
> > Let's let these people get back to their jobs of educating our kids.
>
> The quote I included above was from Kevin stating that Martyne isn't
> involved with the teaching aspect. I'm not sure, but I don't believe the
> development teams were either. We can let them get back to their jobs
> though. :)
>
> --
> streak@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu * Jason Williams -- Austin, Tx. | |
> streak@mail.utexas.edu * University of Texas at Austin | ___ |
> streak@cs.utexas.edu * BS Computer Science \_|_/
> *************** http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~streak/ **************|

At any University, there is a surprisingly smalll amount of fiscal "fat". The
amount of discretionary money is practically non-existent. Therefore, special
projects need to be funded externally.
One of the primary functions of Universities is to educate. Another is to
provide a repository of accumulated knowledge. Yet another is to provide an
atmosphere where these things can be done with freedom. With the burgeoning of
technology in the learning system, it has become necessary to provide ever
increasing amounts of support for new ways of doing these things. From the
description of their jobs, it sounds as if Martyne and Kevin are involved with
this aspect of function on the campus. This is an awesome task, particularly
on an esteemed on such as Cornell. Their jobs are primarily dedicated to
providing the backdrop on which the educators and the students do their work.
In other words, they ARE involved with the education of our kids.

--
What is a listserv?
http://www.cit.cornell.edu/cit-pubs/email/using-lists.html