Re: Capture card Vs parallel port

Jamie Erbes (jamie@erbes.com)
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 10:34:59 -0700

I prefer the quality (resolution and speed) of a capture card with an analog camera. As an educator, you may want to transmit recorded media (VCR tape) as well as live camera - a capture card would allow you this choice.

I don't ever recommend the USB devices to friends. People tend to have trouble getting USB support consistently on their windows OS (and it ends up being a tech support job for me). And I haven't been overly impressed with any USB camera I've seen yet.

I don't like the parallel port device as there may be port conflicts (printer, scanner, etc). If you can afford to dedicate your parallel port to the camera, this might be OK for you. If you get a QuickCam, get the newest ones, not the cheapo B&W or firesale variety. There is a definite difference in quality and driver performance.