Re: Capture card Vs parallel port

Tue, 23 Jun 1998 18:49:56 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Jamie Erbes wrote:
> I prefer the quality (resolution and speed) of a capture card with an
> analog camera. As an educator, you may want to transmit recorded media
> (VCR tape) as well as live camera - a capture card would allow you this
> choice.

What type of capture card do you recommend? :)
I'm in love with the Winnov...The drivers are top notch and allow you to
do things that other cards can't (not from what I've seen).

Some educators that I've helped preferred the Quickcam for ease of use.
It's very easy to move from one computer to the next which may be required
in an educational requirement.

> I don't like the parallel port device as there may be port conflicts
> (printer, scanner, etc). If you can afford to dedicate your parallel
> port to the camera, this might be OK for you.

That's generally what I recommend..a dedicated parallel port. It works
out great.

> If you get a QuickCam, get the newest ones, not the cheapo B&W or
> firesale variety. There is a definite difference in quality and driver
> performance.

I don't buy this. The "cheap B&W or firesale" quickcams are often the
best cause you can buy a lot more of them. The "newest" Quickcam that you
seem to recommend is the Quickcam VC which has a ton of problems from what
I've heard. The B&W Quickcams with the latest drivers works great. The
Color Quickcam 2 is also fairly good. I've just always had a problem with
the Color Quickcam output. The Gamma Correctness is always way off with
them. I've told a few people how easy it is to spot people with color
quickcams. Just look for the bluish whites and reddish yellows. The blue
and red tint to everything still annoys me.

There's a definitely quality different between the Color Quickcam 2 and
the Quickcam VC. The Quickcam 2 seems to be much better in terms of
compatibility.