Re: Cornell CUSeeMe Version 1.0 Locks Up

Wed, 24 Jun 1998 13:55:06 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Bernard Matthews wrote:
> I have also had video windows fail to 'handshake' (or whatever the
> equivalent is with CUSeeMe) where the message 'such and such stream'
> (mpeg, for example) is continuously displayed without an image ever
> appearing. Someone else has reported seeing the same effect with my
> image. I don't recall if they had v1.0 or if it was just me with v1.0.

This is probably not a "handshake" problem as much as it is a quality
problem. If you're on a reflector that's NOT MPCS, the quality for color
needs to be around 20-25% for people to be able to see you. If you saw
data coming in from them (the kbps on the window fluctuating), then this
is most likely what it is. Ask them to lower their quality down. The way
I've seen all the color codecs work is by sending a complete frame. If
the frame size is big enough (ie: high quality), then it will take quite a
long time to receive any vid from them.

MPCS seems to handle higher quality vid much better though...you can send
using 50-60% quality on a modem and still be seen by others.