Re: Capture card Vs parallel port

Wed, 24 Jun 1998 14:16:07 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Phil wrote:
> I did this for a while, and it worked great when it worked. When it didn't
> work, it was generally because the Connectix driver was looking at the wrong
> port.

I've never had this happen..but I remember hearing somewhere that sticking
the cam on LPT1 fixes it.

> USR Bigpicture is a Philips eyeball cam supplied with a BT848 frame
> grabber card which has a power jack for the cam.

I have an STB TV/PCI cap card/tv card that I picked up at a garage sale.
It uses the bt848 drivers as well..I didn't like it because I couldn't
change the TV channel while the card was in use. I like the Winnov's
driver's ability to let multiple programs use the card at once.

> Actually, I rather liked the mono Quickcam, but they're going out of style.

Out of style perhaps...but grayscale is definitely the way to stay
compatiblity with ALL versions of CU. And it does work.

> What do you think of the parallel Quickcam VC? It's sure cheap enough, and
> claims to be faster than the Quickcam II.

I've never used them..I've just heard of lots of problems with them. Some
people say they work great..others don't.. I never figured out if the
problems were with the parallel port version or the USB version.