Re: anybody tried this?

Wed, 24 Jun 1998 20:54:48 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Rob White wrote:
> Just got some info on TweakDun....supposedly optimizes win95 registry to
> enhance internet speed...something to do with packets. Has anyone tried
> this for speeding up cam operations? I'm using a winnov a/v and
> cam...love it, but faster is better. Thanks for any imput...

My guess is that it's used to tweak stuff like RWIN and MSS/MTU settings.
It's kinda hazy as to if it does any good. I use the default Win95
setttings of an MTU=1500 (the ethernet default) which works great. My
understanding of MTU is that you want it to be as big as possible without
the intermediate routers fragmenting the packets. Especially with
something as bandwidth intensive as CU-SeeMe (or any videoconferencing
program). Lowering it usually helps if you have other interactive
TCP/IP applications running at the same time.

As far as your camera...Internet optimzations won't really help with
camera quality or speed as far as I know. At least, not directly. Your
vid may "appear" to be faster if the reflector doesn't have to reassemble
your packets a lot more but I'm not sure that it would make much
difference.