Re: Video or audio/video card

Phil (chrome@lcol.net)
Sat, 27 Jun 1998 21:56:07 -0400

>At 11:26 AM 6/26/98 -0700, Robert Barry wrote:
>
>>I had to modify the end of the sound cable from my cd-rom drive to fit the
>>AV card. The cable was setup to use four pins and the AV card has five
>>pins. Only three pins are actually used. Left and right channel and a
>>ground.
>
>I've heard that the 2 outside pins and the center pin are grounds and that
>the other 2 pins are the sound channels. Does it matter which ground pins
>are used?

I doubt if the grounds will make much difference, as long as you use one of
them. You can do a quick eyeball on it to see where they lead. If they
both go to the same trace, it won't make much difference.

Murphy's law is always in effect on sound cards. I've always had to rewire
the CD-ROM audio connector for every sound card I've put in. The last
couple times, I did it with everything "hot", just touching the wires until
the right channel came out of the right speaker. The common (ground) is
usually a dead giveaway you can find by visual inspection. Be careful,
don't touch ANYTHING else if you try this.