Re: How to ensure that you can talk to a particular recipient? (2)

Phil (chrome@lcol.net)
Sat, 27 Jun 1998 22:06:15 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Chan Ka-sing <kschan@hknet.com>
To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
Date: Saturday, June 27, 1998 10:16 AM
Subject: How to ensure that you can talk to a particular recipient? (2)

>Dear Members,
>
>As the IP address is often NOT fixed, hence not known before we run
>CU-SeeMe. The IP address is often assigned by the ISP. How to ensure that
>we can talk to a particular recipient?

I'd use other methods, such as an Internet pager. (ICQ, Excite PAL, etc.)
You could also email the person or arrange to meet in an IRC channel. You
could even call on the phone first.

On the plugging/unplugging, I advise that you never plug in or unplug
anything on a parallel port while the machine is running. A/B switches
should be OK except they'll noise up the video a bit. I've used one with no
major problems, but Connectix tech support advises against it. This is
rather strange, since Connextix also sells A/B switches for this purpose.