Re: CuSeeMe 1.0 and Windows 98 II

Brian Godette (bgodette@idcomm.com)
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 10:49:41 -0600

At 10:16 PM 6/29/98 -0600, Ralph D'Andrea wrote:
>Jason Williams wrote:
>
>> The problem I've seen is applications don't let you DYNAMICALLY choose
>> which interface to bind to.
>
>And that's what I MEANT to say. It's easy enough to find all the
>interfaces and to bind to one in particular. A little different to
>choose the RIGHT one. Whitepine 3.x seems to be able to figure it out,
>but it still causes an "illegal IP" when connecting to an EREF.

Actually it's part of the TCP connect routines. By opening a TCP socket and
connecting to an external destination you can use getsockname() after the
socket is connected to find out what IP address was used as a source for
your end. Since ERef doesn't support the conf-box (and never will, that's a
WP only thingy and I'd rather not get into the legal issues of reverse
engineering in the US). However I may have to look at what would happen if
I just had a listening socket on 7648, let the WP clients connect to it,
then close the socket, all depends on when WP gives a call to getsockname().