Re: Rewrite CUSEEME

John Carey (john@carey.com)
Sat, 4 Mar 1995 19:11:04

Whoa Will,

You have the cart before the horse. TIA, while pretty swell for somethings,
doesn't emulate the full suite of Internet Protocols. In fact, unless I am
mistaken, it only emulates a rather narrow subset of TCP which is enough to
use most popular client software. It happens that CU-SeeMe uses not TCP but
UDP. If you want to use CU-SeeMe, or perhaps other clients that use UDP, you
will have to get yourself a proper IP connection or wait until the TIA folks
provide a full implementation of Internet Protocol.

The selection of a protocol is made for a variety of reasons. I assume that
the developers of CU-SeeMe chose UDP for speed and perhaps other
considerations since in many ways it is a more simple protocol. To ask the
developers to attempt to rewrite the program using a protocol which may be
less than appropriate to the task just so you can use it with a decidedly
non-standard system like TIA sounds ludicrous to me, but that is just my
opinion.

John (john@carey.com)