Re: QuickCam software is not freely distributable

John J Falcone (john@ucsc.com)
Mon, 13 Mar 95 18:09:40 -0500

Michael,
I agree, the people at Connectix were super to me and I am a PC type who
had just bought one of their cameras to try on a MAC to see what is coming
down the pike. They were gracious and helpful with my MAC questions which
went beyond theor camera! They certainly deserve their money.
John

>At 06:50 3/13/95, Roie Gat wrote:
>
>>Oh yeah, heres another neat idea that I recently discovered:
>>
>>If your sick and tried of being a lurker (since I have a Quickcam,
>>I don't fall into this category)? Well, heres a cool trick for you guys.
>>Get the Quickcam software from someone (it should be too hard to find).
>>Install it on your computer and run cuseeme. CU-SeeMe will think you have
>>a video card but for local video all you'll get is a white screen. This
>>just means they wont see you, but at least you can type cool messages on
>>you video screen (hey...its a step up for lurkers!). Let me know if
>>someone tries this.....wanna get some feedback on it.
>
>You might get a response you didn't expect, what with advocating software
>piracy in public. Connectix QuickCam software is not free- or share-ware,
>and it's not freely distributable. You've said what amounts to (spelling
>and punctuation style followed):
>
> Well, heres a cool trick for you guys. Get the ramdoubler
> software from someone (it should be too hard to find).
> Install it on your computer and run it. Now youll have
> twice as much memory! Let me know if someone tries
> this.....wanna get some feedback on it.
>
>Don't do this. I know at least one person at Connectix who likes to get
>paid, pay the rent, etc. There's really *no* excuse with the cost of a
>camera hovering around US$100.
>
>Michael "I sometimes program for food too" Sattler

>Michael Sattler <msattler@jungle.com> San Francisco, California |
>Digital Jungle Consulting Services http://www.jungle.com/msattler/ |
> |
>Are you continuing this thread after repeated requests to stop because |
>you're illiterate, or merely because you're a sociopath? |
> -- L. Futplex McCarthy |

John J Falcone (john@ucsc.com)
University Computing Services Corp.
Newark, DE