Re: The So-Called "Pornograp

Rob Williams (Rob_Williams@qm.mbvlab.wpafb.af.mil)
1 Mar 1996 12:17:05 U

Mail*Link(r) SMTP RE>The So-Called "Pornograp
a person said

>At 08:00 AM 1/10/96 -0600, you wrote:
>This, like the debate over children seeing or
>having access to adult sites, comes down to people not wanting to take
>control over their own lives. Whenever we are confronted with something
>"bad", many demand others take care of the problem for them. Then, when
>those political and religious muscles are flexed and there is no more
>access to anything, those same voices cry out that it has gone too far.
>This is what is wrong with the entire system in which we live right now.
>People cry out they don't have time to police their kids. Bull! I work 80
>hours a week and I control the times and topics my kids access on the
>internet. I even know what movies my teenager watches.
>A few of the contributors to this thread mentioned that, if you see
>something that is offensive, close that screen. Damn straight! If we start
>limiting what people want to see or do on the internet, then we'll all
>eventually suffer. Because it will start with controlling one thing (like
>the few exhibitionists out there) and eventually move to other, more
>mundane, areas that one or two verbose people do not like.

I'm particularly fascinated by person's reply in which person says

>hours a week and I control the times and topics my kids access on the
>internet. I even know what movies my teenager watches.

Point 1: Your exercising control (i.e.establishing standards of behavior)
over someone is ok but someone else exercising control over you is not ok?
... interesting :-)

>internet. I even know what movies my teenager watches.

Point 2: I too have kids and teens and I suspect that one day you will be
VERY surprised to know what your kids/teens did/saw/heard that you DIDN't
know about.

Now let's get back to technical discussions regarding CU-SeeMe technology.

Rob Williams
rwilliam@erinet.com (home)