Re: Installing CU-SeeMe under OS/2 Warp Connect

Neil Morris (neil@adm1.ph.man.ac.uk)
Fri, 08 Mar 96 10:19:26 EST

On Wed, 06 Mar 96 12:35:47 CST you wrote:

>I need some help and maybe it just can't be done yet. Has anyone been able to successfully run CU-SeeMe under OS/2 Warp Connect? I got it to install ok, but I get the message "Gethostbyname() failed (11001)" when I run it. I've tried all of the suggestions in the Online Help and README files. No Luck. I'm guessing it's a problem with the virtual Winsock driver that comes with the TCP/IP in Warp Connect. With that in mind, I'm also contacting IBM for a possible fix in case anybody else is interested. Here's my Internet enviroment for anyone who wants a challenge.
>
> IBM OS/2 Warp Connect 3.0 Fullpack (Win-OS2, not Windows)
> IBM TCP/IP 3.0 (full stack from Warp Connect)
> 28.8 PPP connection w/dynamic address assignment
>
>P.S.
>I have been successfull at running other Windows TCP/IP apps with this configuration, so I know the Winsock driver is installed and functioning.
>
>+----->
>|
>| Todd Quinn - Member TeamOS/2
>| Catch me at tmquinn@dris.com
>|
>| My address will be changing to
>| tmquinn@mtco.com on March 18,1996
>|
>+----->

I've been running CU under Warp Connect and WINOS\2 in seemless sessions
as follows.

Check your Virtual TCP setup for dos and winos2

config.sys should have the following statements

device= <drive><path> vdostcp.vdd
device= <drive><path> vdostcp.sys
run= <drive><path> vdosctl.exe

with the above you now should have vdostcp.sys listed in your dos\win
session dos_device settings

In your Winos2 session autoexec.bat file put

set etc=<drive><path>

where <drive><path> point to the location of your HOSTS file, the default
for this is <drive>:\mptn\etc NB it needs editing!

Edit the hosts file with a line:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx your machine host name <cr>

ie

127.0.0.1 loopy

As a final check make sure the path to winsock.dll is also in the path
statement in your winos2 session autoexec.bat.

Now with a bit of luck you might not get those nasty error messages<g>.

Hope this helps,
Best Regards
Neil..

Neil Morris. /101101101 Virtual Bumper Stickers Inc 10110101010\
Dept of Physics. 1 1
University of Manchester. 0 0
Schuster Labs. 1 Computer Programmers DO IT with BITS of BYTES 1
Brunswick St. 0 0
Manchester. 1 1
UK. \0101010110010110110010110101101011011110101011010/
G8KOQ
E-mail: neil@adm1.ph.man.ac.uk Roswell Archive-> http://adm2.ph.man.ac.uk/

Os2Chat -> telnet adm2.ph.man.ac.uk:port 1234