RE: Trumpet WinSock and Win95

John Beaver (john_beaver@connectix.com)
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 14:31:15 -0800

> From: Jonathan Day[SMTP:Jonathan.Day@umist.ac.uk]
>
> Lee Byung Seo wrote:
> > You don't need Trumpet Winsock in Win95 for TCP/IP, I think.
> > Win95 supports a standard TCP/IP.
> > Why you want install Trumpet Winsock in Win95 ?
>
> Weeellll, standard is as standard goes and I have a feeling that
> Microsoft's PPP driver is not entirely standard. It refuses point
> blank to talk to anything other than another Windows box, which
> rather spoils the dial-in line I have, which uses Linux and pppd.
>
> If the original questioner (or anyone else!) can get Trumpet's
> winsock to work in Win95, I'd like to know. I read the info on
> Trumpet's site, but Win95 obviously hadn't as it refused to
> recognise that winsock even existed.

This is not true. I use the PPP dialer in Windows 95 to dial in to a Tribe
PPP server. This runs on a MAC OS. I have also used it to dial into UNIX
boxes configured as PPP servers.
As a matter of fact, I used the Wizard to enter the number of my
connection, named it Work PPP and that was it. I did not have to change
anything and I connected the first time (and every time thereafter) to the
TRIBE PPP setup.

My 2 cents

John
C O N N E C T I X C O R P O R A T I O N
The Leader in Affordable Desktop Video Conferencing
http://www.connectix.com CompuServe Go: Connectix AOL Keyword: Connectix
Connectix Corporation 2655 Campus Drive #100, San Mateo, CA 94403
email: vphone@connectix.com Tel: (800) 410-3137 Fax: (415) 571-5195