TCP/IP stacks

John W. Osborne (josborne@magna.com.au)
Tue, 12 Mar 1996 15:12:53 +-1000

Jonathan....

I think I detect a little anti-Microsoft bias there, as well as some inaccuracy.

For your information, I've used W95's TCP/IP stack to connect to
Linux, Unix, Tandem, as well as NT boxes. No problem.
At least not with W95's stack.

As for using the Trumpet stack (can't imagine why you'd want to unless
you have a bizarre requirement for raw sockets), read the doco again.

On the other hand, if you were having trouble with W95's stack, the
entire TCP/IP exercise sounds like it is beyond you. Better get a
a friend to help.

John

----------
From: Jonathan Day[SMTP:Jonathan.Day@umist.ac.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, 12 March 1996 8:02
To: CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
Subject: Re: Trumpet WinSock and Win95

Lee Byung Seo wrote:
> You don't need Trumpet Winsock in Win95 for TCP/IP, I think.
> Win95 supports a standard TCP/IP.
> Why you want install Trumpet Winsock in Win95 ?

Weeellll, standard is as standard goes and I have a feeling that
Microsoft's PPP driver is not entirely standard. It refuses point
blank to talk to anything other than another Windows box, which
rather spoils the dial-in line I have, which uses Linux and pppd.

If the original questioner (or anyone else!) can get Trumpet's
winsock to work in Win95, I'd like to know. I read the info on
Trumpet's site, but Win95 obviously hadn't as it refused to
recognise that winsock even existed.