Re: Trumpet WinSock and Win95

Jonathan Day (jonathan.day@umist.ac.uk)
Tue, 12 Mar 1996 09:44:24 +0000

John W. Osborne wrote:
> I think I detect a little anti-Microsoft bias there, as well as some
> inaccuracy.

I have to admit that Microsoft aren't in my good books. Apologies for
any inaccuracies - my experience is as I gave it. Also, I suspect I'm
not the only one who's had trouble with Microsoft's PPP, judging from
some of the FAQs on the net.

> For your information, I've used W95's TCP/IP stack to connect to
> Linux, Unix, Tandem, as well as NT boxes. No problem.
> At least not with W95's stack.

I'll re-run through those instructions that've been posted and see
if I've any more luck. Since other people have obviously managed to
get the connection working ok, it should just be a question of
running through the settings with a fine tooth-comb, for the nth
time.

> On the other hand, if you were having trouble with W95's stack, the
> entire TCP/IP exercise sounds like it is beyond you. Better get a
> a friend to help.

*cough* Whilst I have to admit that it's impossible to know everything
about all operating systems, this /is/ the first communications problem
I've encountered that I couldn't solve without docs.