Re: Wpine or Cornell?

Daniel W. Erskine (derskine@apci.net)
Tue, 26 Mar 1996 19:00:58 -0600

stephen dyason wrote:
> Dear Daniel
> Your goodself and Bill seems to have come clear as THE people for an answer:
> Which do you recomend, for ease, stability & features (shareware) for
> A a lurker
> B reflector : Cornell or Wpine?
>
> With kind regards,
> Stephen Dyason
> sdyason@iafrica.com
> sdyason@iafrica.com
> OS/2's the answer: WHAT'S THE QUESTION?

Greetings:
First of all, let me give you a breakdown of what I've seen in both versions
of CU-SeeMe. Keep in mind that I have an IBM compatable PC and a 28.8 modem.
MacIntoshes *seem* to have a few variations to the list below:

White Pine's: Cornell's:
3. Has a "CHAT" applet (not IRC) 3. Has a "CHAT" applet (not IRC)
4. Has a "white board" applet 4. No "white board" available
5. Adjustable transmit/receive rates 5. Adjustable transmit rates ONLY
6. Allows switching between different 6. Will only use first MSVIDEO video
MSVIDEO video sources source from SYSTEM.INI file (PC's)
7. Allows for color video transmission 7. Gray-scale transmission ONLY
8. Has built-in database to store and 8. Maintains reflector list, with no
manage favorite reflector sites way to delete invalid sites, YUCK!
9. Greater stability via robust menu 9. Bare-bones menuing makes workstation
configuration options configuration a chore
10. Nicer on bandwidth configuring 10. Bandwidth more restricted; *OK*

From these points, I'll let YOU choose your package. Myself? I prefer the
White Pine version.
As for reflectors? I haven't the foggiest CLUE!!! I'm just a "video voyeur!"

Hope this information better assists you,

PHONE: (Job) Hun-ting "http://www.apci.net/~derskine"