RE: IP address..

Marc Lindahl (shark@dti.net)
Thu, 28 Mar 1996 03:12:37 -0400

Let's bring this to comp.isp or something, folks!
(p.s. my ISP gave me a fixed IP, without any of the below requirements, or
even asking. They give all their customers fixed IPs. Most folks that
registered thier domains early on got big chunks of IP #space, but
nowadays, even ISPs dont get that much, so they have to ration via dynamic
addresses. Most customers aren't savvy enough to ask beforehand. BUT, I
think there are ways to find out your IP address once you're connected, so
there's some (remote) hope for CUSM use. Why don't we talk about something
like that instead of flaming?)

>Robert - I must take issue with your comments.
>
>I have been running an internet service for 2 years here in Houston texas,
>and we handle 128 tele lines. WE DO NOT ASSIGN IP ADDRESSES UNLESS PERSONS
>REGISTER A DOMAIN AND THEN ONLY FOR A VIRTUAL HOST ADDRESS ON A WEB SITE.
>
>When you call our number, we connect you to one of several terminal
>servers. These terminal servers are ip-addressed in order from 100-228.
>When the individual dials up using his ppp client, the ip address of the
>port is loaded automatically into his client software.
>
>ALL INTERNET PROVIDERS THAT I DEAL WITH DO THE SAME THING. A Class C
>subnet isn't enough addresses to frivelously give out to people and the
>internic is being more-and-more gripey with regards to who can have
>additional class-c subnets.

shark@dti.net (Marc Lindahl)
<A HREF="http://home.dti.net/shark">My Home Page</A>
<A HREF="http://www.ariel.com/~bowery">Visit my Bowery Records site</A>