Re: 33.6 USR Modem

Leslie McClure (leslie@mail.unicom.net)
Thu, 28 Mar 1996 18:48:00 +0000

Despite the rating of your modem the speed will never be greater
than the speed of the modems at your ISP. The two modems have to be
at the same speed to connect. The lastest version of the Ascend
modem/routers have a bug in them that is not capable of handling the
28.8 of the USR especially. Many, if not all, ISP's are setting
they're connect speeds to 26,400 max to try to keep the Ascends from
dropping the connections. Even if your ISP doesn't have Ascends
in all probability his modems are 28.8 v.bis. That and the local
telephone loop conditions and traffic on the server could well hold
the speeds down to 26,400.