Re: Modem Speed Testing. Software anyone?

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Fri, 29 Mar 1996 17:55:58 -0600

>Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 13:41:45 +0100
>Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
>From: Luc Volders <luc@box.nl>
>To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
>Subject: Re: Modem Speed Testing. Software anyone?
>
>>I found TcpSpeed which measures the bandwidth of a connection,
>>and using a 33.6 modem, I've achieved speeds of 35. But in the
>>directions it says that a 14.4 modem can achieve numbers of
>>20-25 with compression. Does anyone else here have any numbers
>>they have obtained from using this program with either a
>>28.8 or 33.6 modem?
>
>The easiest way I think is to get into the modem commands and disable
>error correction and data compression.
>
>Then connect again and you will see the exact connection speed.
>
>Regards,
>Luc
>
>CU-SeeMe users looking for reflector IP adresses?
>My reflector list can be found (amongst a lot of good Mac related and
>other
>stuff) on http://www.manzione.com Look at the columns
>section.

>This message was sent to you by: Luc Volders luc@box.nl

I can't say specifically about other modems, but my Motorola Lifestyle 28.8
modem has a \Vn command, which modifies the type of result message that the
modem gives upon connection.

For example: Your computer talks to the modem at 57600, and connects to
another modem at 28800. The following \V settings give these results:

\V Computer to modem speed only
CONNECT 57600
\V1 Computer to modem speed with error correction and data compression
information
CONNECT 57600/V42BIS
\V2 Modem to modem speed only
CONNECT 28800
\V3 Modem to modem speed with error correction and data compression information
CONNECT 28800/V42BIS
\V4 Modem to modem speed with modulation, error correction and data
compression information*
CONNECT 28800/26400/V34/V42BIS

Squeek on Undernet IRC
Channel Manager #CU-SeeMe