RE: Upgrade help?

The mad Scientist! (s324131@student.uq.edu.au)
Sun, 31 Mar 1996 12:42:59 +1000 (GMT+1000)

On Sun, 31 Mar 1996, John W. Osborne wrote:

> Upgrade to Windows 95 so you can use the 32-bit version of the CuSeeMe
> software. You are much less likely to have resource shortages of you do so.

I haven't got Windows 95, but agree with this in theory.

> Add either 4 or 8 megs of additional RAM to your system (pocketbook permitting)
> which reduces paging, which indirectly makes your whole system perform better.

I would put this choice last. The 8Mb of RAM he already has is plenty
for CuSeeMe, unless he is running a Web browser or other large
application at the same time.

> ISDN would be my last choice. Unless you are on a 1-on-1 conference with another
> user who also has ISDN, you will ultimately only get other users' video, whether through
> a reflector or in a 1-on-1 connection, as fast as the -other- party can send
> it.

What about if the person has several video windows open at once? Then
they will definitely benefit from ISDN. In fact, if they have more than
1 video window open, they will _only_ get everyones video as fast as they
can send it (I'm assuming they are all sending at 28.8) if they have ISDN.

s324131@student.uq.edu.au