Re: laptop videoconferencing

Pope Zaphod I (jprisco@lightlink.com)
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 22:40:07 -0500

At 17:30 3/19/97 -0500, Ellen Rothchild <enr2@po.cwru.edu> wrote:

> Has anyone had any luck videoconferencing with a PC laptop and
>modem? If so, what kind of setup? I'm intending a demo for a meeting in
>another city, and figure that at least a Pentium 166 and a 33KB modem would
>be desireable. [...] Does anyone
>have a crystal ball about new hardware, or whether MMX makes any diference
>with CU-SeeMe?

Well, CU-SeeMe runs just fine on my desktop, which is a Pentium 100Mhz with
32MB of RAM with a 28.8 modem. I was able to have 2 windows open on my
laptop, which is a Pentium 75Mhz with 16MB of RAM and a 14.4 modem. A
similar laptop should be fine.

Certainly a faster processer and more RAM will make CU-SeeMe run faster,
but the real bottleneck here is the modem. The more bandwidth you have,
the better the images you can send and receive with CU-SeeMe. If you could
do ISDN that would be better. Obviously a local LAN or a T1 would be
better....

====
His Holiness, Pope Zaphod I <<<;-) [aka Joseph V. Prisco]
mailto:jprisco@lightlink.com UIN:145699 http://www.lightlink.com/jprisco/
DISCLAIMER & QUOTE: "I'm not saying what I'm saying. I'm not saying what I'm
*thinking*. For that matter, I'm not even *thinking* what I'm thinking."
- Captain Sheridan, B5, "A Race Through Dark Places"