Re: QuikCam - Color or BW??

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 21:42:47 -0600

At 07:15 PM 3/21/97 -0500, Susan Jacobson wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I may get the opportunity to work on a project with CUSeeMe and other
>streaming technologies. Right now the director of the project is ordering
>the necessary hardware and software. I recommended that he purchase
>several of the lovely FlexCams, but it is beyond his budget, and he is
>going to buy QuikCams instead. He said he would at least purchase the
>*COLOR* QuikCam, but my experience has only been with the B&W model.
>Are there any drawbacks to the COLOR QuikCam?? The project will probably
>involve conferencing (over CUSeeMe and other techs) with other groups
>that may or may not have color cameras (probably not).
>
>Any recommendations?? Thanks!
>
>Susan J.
>jacobson@is.nyu.edu

The color quickcam CAN send in b&w mode, which most people prefer anyway,
but keep this in mind: the picture from the color camera in b&w mode is
always somewhat fuzzy, due to the conversion of 256 shades of grey down to
64 or 16 (I forget which) shades. The b&w quickcam is not only cheaper, but
it gives you a much clearer picture.

Bill Woodland (Squeek =A9)
Email, PowWow, and ICQ: wcw@bga.com
URL:http://cu-seeme.cornell.edu/~WCW