Re: Please help! CUSeeMe Probs.

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 18:50:05 -0600

At 11:01 AM 3/24/97 -0500, DrJeffJo@aol.com wrote:
>Hello subscribers,
>
>I have been having some problems using the software and would REALLY
>appreciate some assistance. I am most often communicating with a friend in=
>point to point connection.. we both connect through ISPs with a 28.8 modem
>connection. We are using greyscale Quickcams and the freeware versions. =
I'm
>a Mac, she's on a pc. =20
>
>1. Chat box does not seem to work! We both have it open but no text is
>swapped. This makes us have to IM through AOL. Sometimes she can see my
>chat, but I can hardly ever see what she writes. What's wrong? I had
>installed GeekTalk for the Mac, but took it out thinking that may be the
>problem--didn't change anything.

Get the latest version of GeekTalk...it works very well, and check your
rates (see number 2).

>2. Problem with inactivity of my sent video. My friend's video that I
>receive has good motion averaging 2-5 fps. I can actually see her blink.
> However, my video is almost still to her and my local video says my motion
>is usually <1. Both our transmission settings are like 10<90<90 and
>reception 10<200. Help!

You are both on 28.8 modems, but you have your transmit max set to 90 and
receive max set to 200? Think about this...you can't receive 200kbps on a
28.8 modem, nor can you SEND 90kbps. Lower your rates to about 20k and try
it again.

>3. She is having a problem with her local video. Sometimes she has no=
local
>video and cannot get it to appear, however I can still see her when she
>connects. She says there is no local video option under her Participants
>menu like there is on my Mac.

Tell her to click on "Window" then to look and see if there is a check mark
beside "Local Video". If there isn't, then she needs to click on Local
Video to open that window. If it IS checked, then her local video window is
probably in a minimized state, and she should find it on the task bar. If
so, tell her to click on that window on the task bar. If that doesn't bring
it up, tell her to RIGHT mouse click it on the task bar, then LEFT click on
MOVE. Using the CURSOR KEYS, move UP and LEFT until the wire-frame is
visible, then hit ENTER to drop it there. This happens ONLY when you exit
cu-seeme with a window MINIMIZED.

>Thank you very much,
>Jeff

You're welcome