Re: Video Blaster memory problem

Adrian Close (adrian@close.wattle.id.au)
Sat, 29 Mar 1997 11:24:05 +1100 (EST)

Hi Carlos,

On Fri, 28 Mar 1997, Carlo Borreri wrote:

> I've use CuSeeMe from a long time on a 486 with 12 MB ram,
> until I bought a new motherboard with Pentium processor
> and 32 MB memory. Since I'm using a Video Blaster card
> (1st generation, I think) with a color videocamera
> connected, it has to be mapped in the first 16 MB memory
> block of the PC, there is no way to run it with Pentium.
> Anyone have had a similar problem ? Any solution different to
> put the Video Blaster card in the trash ?

I too am using a 1st generation Video Blaster. As far as I know there is
no way to map the framebuffer higher than 16Mb (but you knew that too).

A lot of motherboards with an Award BIOS have a "memory hole" feature
which tells the motherboard not to use the memory at say, 15-16Mb.
Perfect for a Video Blaster. Unfortunately on my motherboard it also
takes out any memory higher than 16Mb. >:-(

If you can handle having only 15Mb of RAM then maybe this is a good
solution. Otherwise I'd suggest you go out and buy a new capture card -
they're not that expensive thesedays.

Hope this helps.

Adrian Close email: adrian@close.wattle.id.au
phone: +61 3 9894 7606
http://www.adrian.close.wattle.id.au fax: +61 3 9894 7606
(PGP key available from my web page) mobile: +61 417 346 094