Re: Warning: Mac CU-SeeMe 3.1.0.xx

Chris Silverberg (spidercrs@megsinet.net)
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 23:58:42 -0500

At 11:29 PM -0500 on 3/3/98, Jason Williams wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Chris Silverberg wrote:
> > Installing White Pine Mac CU-SeeMe 3.1.0.x will prevent Cornell's CU-SeeMe
> > from being able to function. (how convenient for White Pine eh?)

> Hmm..This is a new one I haven't heard of. What do you mean by
> "preventing Cornell's CU-SeeMe from being able to function?" Since it's
> related to the listener, does it somehow relate to receiving incoming
> calls? What are the symptoms? It's not codec related like Windows
> 3.1.0.25 version I hope.

The problem is that only one process can listen to the CU-SeeMe UDP port at
one time under MacOS. White Pine's CU-SeeMe knows how to communicate to
Listener to turn it off, but Cornell's CU-SeeMe does not have this
capability.

So, if the Listener is running, launching Cornell CU-SeeMe brings up a
generic "Can't open MacTCP" error. Sadly, there will be novice users who
won't understand what this means. That's why I want to at least inform the
mailing list if/when we see messages from users who are having trouble.

The other work around is to turn off the listener within WP CU-SeeMe
itself. Choose 'Call Options' from the Edit menu, select the 'Listener'
tab, and choose "Suspend Listening".

Chris

Chris Silverberg Visit my homepage at:
chris@silverberg.net http://www.silverberg.net