Re: Warning: Mac CU-SeeMe 3.1.0.xx

Wed, 4 Mar 1998 11:31:40 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Eric Ochoa [NOL Staff] wrote:
> I have a valid argument to make here, I use 3.1.0.25 pretty much on a
> daily basis, and everyone I CU with can see me in black and white just
> fine, I've never once had a user complain about my video being still,
> black, etc... most people say my vid is some of the best they have seen.
> So my question is this:
>
> Exactly what conditions have to exist to reproduce this problem you have
> discussed here before?

I've been exploring this a little over the last week.
If the sender is sending with the grayscale codec on 3.1.0.25, anyone on a
PC that's NOT using 3.1.0.25 sees a static screen unless they continually
close and re-open the 3.1.0.25 grayscale sender. If everyone you CU with
is using the 3.1.0.25 version, then there won't appear to be a problem.
If you CU with anyone that doesn't use the 3.1 version (for whatever
reasons...there are plenty), then it can be a problem.

Brian Godette may wish to clarify this some more, but it doesn't seem to
affect Mac Cornell users or Mac 3.1 users (I haven't found anyone to
confirm or deny the problem using the WP Mac 2.0.0 version though I
imagine it's will be a problem).

The symptoms for the viewer:
A static image that never fills in at all, yet the receiving kbps varies
so you KNOW you are receiving their vid packets.

The sender isn't aware of it happening since, to them, their vid looks
perfectly fine. And contrary to what someone said on my public reflector,
the White Pine MPCS reflector does NOT correct the situation. The only
known fix for it that I'm aware of is within Brian Godette's Enhanced
Reflector itself and only the latest 1.07b8 versions which are still being
tested.

I have to thank Brian Godette for designing a reflector to compensate for
White Pine's buggy clients and for making it available to the public for
free.