Re: a bit off topic - broken QC cable

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Wed, 04 Mar 1998 22:13:15 -0600

At 01:43 PM 3/4/98 -0600, Jason Williams wrote:
>I guess if you were into soldering, it would be possible to replace the
>cable (as long as the break in the cable is outside of the Quickcam
>itself). I've never heard of anyone doing this though. =20

I did it.

After coiling and uncoiling the cord many times, taking the camera to work
and back, the uninsulated ground wire brike inside the outer insulation. I
was lucky enough to find that the break was just outside of the DB25
connector, and was able to find it and solder it back together.

Later on, the same thing happened just outside of the camera ball itself.
You should see my poor quickcam! It's taped together with black electrical
tape, and the insulation is open and wires exposed on both ends, but it
still works.