Re: 3.1.0.25 bug - whats the solution?

Fri, 6 Mar 1998 00:45:57 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, Kelvin J. Hill wrote:
> having heard all this info about 3.1.0.25 does anyone have a practical
> solution to the problem?

The way I see it, there's at least four ways to cope with it:
1) If you are on a non-3.1.0.25 version having problems viewing 3.1.0.25
users, you can request they go to another version.
2) You can upgrade (or downgrade, depending upon your viewpoint) to the
3.1.0.25 version and timeout every 15 minutes
3) If you are on a White Pine version capable of MJPEG, you can get them
to switch to the MJPEG format
4) close and re-open their vid constantly or just don't open their vid at
all. (though that wouldn't be much of a solution)

> Which codec should we use and how?

If you want to use another codec to cope with the problem, I'd choose
MJPEG so you'd be viewable to as any participants as possible (but still
leaves out all the Cornell folks).

> Is it worth
> retrograding to the preview version of 3.1.0 beta?.

Keep in mind, from the viewpoint of the participants, it only affects the
non-3.1 users attempting to view 3.1.0.25 grayscale vid. Other 3.1
versions can see the grayscale just fine. If you're considering going
back to a preview version (which I'm not even sure will still run..not
sure of the drop dead date in the preview version), you'd be just as well
off going to the Cornell version or the 2.1.1/2.1.2 version if you have
it.

> Which end is at fault, the video sender or the video receiver?

It's the sender of the grayscale codec that's at fault. From what I
understand, White Pine is working on fixing this issue..Hopefully soon,
there'll be a patch out for it (CU 3.1.0.26? 3.1.1.0? or whatever
numbering scheme they'll go by)