Re: New version supporting PAL

Bill Ryan (bryan@wpine.com)
Fri, 6 Mar 1998 08:04:55 -0500

The White Pine Mac 3.1 Preview version works fine with the PAL video
digitizers we have tested against.

The real issue is not support for the PAL camera, but the PAL video
digitizer card. The app. interfaces to the video digitizer card's driver
(aka vDig on the Mac). There are NTSC only cards, PAL only cards and cards
which support both NTSC and PAL. Your camera must match the card's
capabilities.

Bill

>On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, Adrian Close wrote:
>
>> Hi Debbie/Sam,
>>
>> On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, Sam Huston wrote:
>>
>> > I've read that the new version of Cu-SeeMe will support PAL. Will this be
>> > with the White Pines or Cornell version. Also, will it be possible for
>> > someone using NTSC to connect with someone using PAL?
>>
>> This is purely an issue with your capture card, and not really anything to
>> do with CU. Your capture card converts the analog video signals to a
>> digital data stream.
>>
>> CU just gets digitised video via hardware driver from the capture card -
>> it doesn't know or care what the capture card's input was.
>>
>> So yes, effectively CU supports both NTSC and PAL input, and users with
>> NTSC and PAL format video input can talk to each other...
>
>This is not what I recall reading on the Cornell web page. Are you
>sucessfully using CU with a PAL capture card? If so which version, White
>Pine or Cornell? And what is the version number?

>s324131@student.uq.edu.au

Bill Ryan (bill@wpine.com) http://www.wpine.com
White Pine Software, Inc. http://www.cuseeme.com
542 Amherst Street PH: 603-886-9050 x351 Tu/Fri
Nashua, NH 03063 603-529-5070 Mon/Wed/Thur