New version supporting PAL

Sam Huston (Samhuston@worldnet.att.net)
Fri, 6 Mar 1998 15:34:55 +0000

>On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, Adrian Close wrote:
>> This is purely an issue with your capture card, and not really anything to
>> do with CU. Your capture card converts the analog video signals to a
>> digital data stream.
>>
>> CU just gets digitised video via hardware driver from the capture card -
>> it doesn't know or care what the capture card's input was.
>
>I don't believe this to be true.
>>From http://cu-seeme.cornell.edu/V32X/capturecards.html:
> A Note on Cameras
>
> Currently, this version of CU-SeeMe only supports NTSC cameras. I
> know, the Win16 version did PAL, but PAL support, for both big and
> small video will be forthcoming.
>--------------------------------------
>
>The version of CU has to change each format from a card into another
>format. If this wasn't the case, then ANY capture card using ANY
>format would work with the Cornell version.
>
>I don't know the details, but I believe PAL standards have different
>resolutions than NTSC, so that also has to be dealt with to get it to
>160x120/320x240/etc... I could be off though.

I think this is correct. My cousin came from Germany with a PAL camcorder.
The pictures would not play on our NTSC televisions without a lot of
modifications. & then would play with a lot of static & no sound (like the
static in slow motion on some VCRs)

>That would lead me to believe that it's a function of the software.
>Afterall, the software is what has to convert the video format into
>something acceptable to CU. (ie: it has to convert a lot of formats into
>what CU uses). I believe DirectX/ActiveX changes this notion, but I don't
>really know.
>
>> So yes, effectively CU supports both NTSC and PAL input, and users with
>> NTSC and PAL format video input can talk to each other...
>
>If the software supports both NTSC and PAL formats, then communicating
>with the opposite format should be transparent.

Are you sure about this? Is there anyone who's familiar with this & knows
for sure? Is there anyone using a PAL camera who wants to videoconference
to see if it works?

Thanks for any & all help!

Debbie
___