Re: Cu-SeeMe/Kids

Wed, 11 Mar 1998 00:40:02 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 8 Mar 1998, Brian Scaplen wrote:
> Can anyone point me the direction for reflectors safe enough to set my kids
> loose on.I have looked around and can't seem to find anything. MY kids are
> 10/11/13. The younger one would like to get on the chat lines, but I would
> feel safer if I could see who she is talking to.
> Any help would be great

See my post to Eric Ochoa for my ideas on the subject...
You may wish to check out the GlobalSchoolhouse page at
http://www.gsn.org/cu/ Their public reflector is at 199.106.67.100

White Pine also has their White Pine Cafe monitored 24 hours a day. For
info on it, check http://www.wpine.com/cafe/
There's a few press releases concerning White Pine's "commitment" to kids
and kid-safe conferencing at
http://www.wpine.com/press/releases/G-rated.html and
http://www.wpine.com/press/releases/GSN.html
Their public "Cafe" reflector is at 209.143.192.2

Powerscourt Refland also supposedly provides a K-12 type of environment
though I don't know how well it's policed if at all. Refland Hall is at
204.182.127.41 and info about Refland is at http://www.refland.com

Generally, it's a trade-off...If you allow the public to connect without
constant monitoring, there's always the possibility of non-G-rated
activity showing up. If you don't allow the public to connect, you lose a
lot of the connectivity that makes CU-SeeMe enjoyable (at least for me
anyway). But with restricted access comes a lesser need for monitors
to control activity.

I also have an "Educational Conference" setup on my public reflector
(128.83.42.61 Conf-ID 3) but it's not too closely policed since it's
rarely used except for special events.