Re: Re - Opening a B&W Connectix Cam

Wed, 11 Mar 1998 00:52:14 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, Steven wrote:
> Actually I dont know how to take it apart, but I do have a question in
> regards to the speed of transfer from the black and white, its so slow that
> i sometimes dont think its worth even having, I have seen the new Color
> Quick cam and they have a great transfer rate when you move or something of
> the such it can keep up without skipping frames on the screen (not even
> when it comes to saving a file, just watching the screen).
> if anyone has advice on how I can speed it up, please help.

Have you seen the new color quickcam in B&W? I believe you're not
comparing apples to apples. The color codecs don't use the same
algorithms as the original grayscale codec. Try loading the 3.1 version
and using MJPEG with the grayscale camera. You can receive the same
motion. As far as the hardware transfer rates, I believe the Color
Quickcam uses a lot more processing power (The Quickcam VC specs require a
Pentium I believe while I've used a B&W Quickcam just fine on a 386-25).