Re: reflectors, rates & capture cards

Wed, 11 Mar 1998 01:01:29 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, Allison C. Hawco wrote:
> 1) I am having problems connecting to *any* reflectors! I keep getting
> the message "Unable to connect" . I am not sure what I am doing
> wrong...Everything seems to be in order...I am using the latest version
> of CU for Windows , 56 K modem...I don't know what other information
> might be helpful...

The 3.1 version comes with a pretty up to date listing of reflectors, but
you may wish to check my reflector scanner at
http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/streak/scan for a more accurate
list.
Outside of that, maybe your ISP is behind a Firewall of some sort (NAT or
something maybe?). Or maybe your TCP/IP stack isn't setup correctly?
It's hard to say.

> 2)I am also wondering about the preferences for the Rates. Are there
> some specific settings I should be using.

On a 56kbps modem, I'd suggest:
min send=10 max send=15
min recv=10 max recv=56
But then, your mileage may vary.

> 3) A friend is trying to use the Enhanced WP Version of CU with a Miro
> DC-20 video card but with no success. Does anybody have any experience
> with this?

I'm not sure if CU now supports this card, but I do remember other people
having problems with it a few years back (or some Miro board)..Perhaps it
works now. http://cu-seeme.cornell.edu/V32X/capturecards.html has some
good pointers on capture cards to try.

---