Re: Cu-SeeMe/Kids

Eric Ochoa [NOL Staff] (cwizard@nol.net)
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 08:42:41 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Jason Williams wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, Eric Ochoa [NOL Staff] wrote:
> > Visit the Networks On-Line Conference Server and feel comfortable in our
> > safe, kid friendly environment. You can dial us at mpcs.nol.net
> > (206.126.32.45) and connect to any of our public conferences, they are all
> > G Rated.
>
> Ahh..but what makes it G Rated? How do you enforce the G rating and WHO
> enforces it? That's a problem both the Cornell AND White Pine reflectors
> have faced.

We do our best to provide a safe atmosphere for adults and children alike
to enjoy. I periodically monitor the ref from home and work, but there is
always someone on pretty much close to 24-7 (ie: Eddie) who does an
EXCELLENT job, I couldn't ask for anyone better.

> Outside of White Pine's 24 hour a day/7 days a week monitoring, there's
> really not much that's fullproof for a "kid-safe" environment. Even White
> Pine's rules are fairly vague if I remember right. If you go too far on
> restricting activity, you end up in AOL's position. AOL ended up
> censoring the word "breast" from discussion. This limited people from
> talking about breast cancer and outraged a lot of people.

We try not to get too carried away, obviously.

> I'm sure there's quite a few "kid-safe" private reflectors out there like
> Global Schoolhouse's private reflector. Any time you allow the public to
> connect, you risk someone being offended. Restricting who connects is one
> way to get around that. If I had kids and it was 1994 again, I wouldn't
> mind letting them roam the 30-40 public reflectors. But these days,
> public reflectors generally aren't "kid-safe" all the time.

Well the next time you make such an idiotic assumption about the
reflectors I keep, please take a moment to stop by and chat with the folks
online about how well kept we try and make it.

> For the reflector operators that don't have the time or money to
> monitor their reflector (or hire full time monitors like White Pine does),
> there will always be people who get offended. I have monitors on my
> reflector which do a pretty good job, but since they aren't getting paid
> (like the Powerscourt monitors for White Pine), it's a voluntary job to
> keep the reflector clean. Even WITH monitors there are people who
> complain about activity and not having enough monitors (Hi Darlene!).
>
> A year and a half ago the idea of remotely monitoring a reflector without
> having to master refmon or telnet was a long way off. Luckily today there
> are quite a few nice utilities out there that make the job easier. My
> reflector scanner and Dale Paul's Refmarshal both allow for remote
> monitoring of reflectors. My proxy server for Refmarshal extends
> Refmarshal's ability and allows Mac users to take advantage of it as well.

> Just my observations after about 4 years in the reflector and CU scene :)

Observations noted, and appreciated. But please do try and investigate a
little more, I feel kinda offended that you would automatically assume
that just because my mpcs is public, it can't be safe.

.o Eric Ochoa ............................... Phone [713] 467-7100 .o.
.o Networks On-Line ......................... Pager [713] 268-9177 .o.
.o 10497 Town & Country Way #460 ............ Email erico@nol.net .o.