Re: Cu-SeeMe/Kids

Wed, 11 Mar 1998 11:23:00 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Eric Ochoa [NOL Staff] wrote:
> We do our best to provide a safe atmosphere for adults and children alike
> to enjoy. I periodically monitor the ref from home and work, but there is
> always someone on pretty much close to 24-7 (ie: Eddie) who does an
> EXCELLENT job, I couldn't ask for anyone better.

I'm sure he does do quite a good job on the Conference that he monitors
(looks like conference 0). But it also looks like Conference 1 is the
designated "room for kids" conference. That's another problem in general.
Having multiple conferences is a great concept, but it also means that
people can easily go to an unused public conference where it may not be as
closely monitored or controlled. I'm guilty of this as well. I have a
seperate educational conference on my reflector for the public but it
isn't as closely monitored as Conference 0.

> Well the next time you make such an idiotic assumption about the
> reflectors I keep, please take a moment to stop by and chat with the folks
> online about how well kept we try and make it.

I have, but I've only seen people in the public conference 0 which is,
indeed, quite well kept when the one monitor is there. It's not so much
an assumption based upon the reflectors you keep as it is an observation
about reflectors in general. Only within the last year have more
reflectors become monitored with the relatively new tools that are out
there. Before 1997, the "norm" was for reflectors to go uncontrolled and
pretty much unmonitored from what I've seen. And to a large extent, the
majority of public reflectors are still unmonitored.

> Observations noted, and appreciated. But please do try and investigate a
> little more, I feel kinda offended that you would automatically assume
> that just because my mpcs is public, it can't be safe.

Sorry to have offended you Eric...It was more of an observation for any
reflector that tries to provide a "kid-safe" environment. Because your
MPCS "server" is public means it requires more monitoring and control I
believe. If you have that, that's cool. I certainly try to have it as
well on my public reflector (er..."server" that is).

There's also the fact that there aren't explicit rules (ie: can't say
certain words, etc) that make it fairly difficult to control the content
and where it heads.

Even White Pine's rules that "no behavior is tolerated that might be
offensive to parents whose children may be present" is quite subjective.
What one person finds utterly offensive another may not. It extends out
from reflectors and into things like the Communications Decency Act.
Trying to define what is offensive isn't easy. What I do know is that a
few years ago, this wasn't a problem at all on reflectors.

Ultimately, I still say parents should monitor what their kids do on the
internet. If parents want to let their kids loose on the internet, they
should be prepared for what they can come across. But that's just my
opinion. :)