Re: Cu-SeeMe/Kids

Eric Ochoa [NOL Staff] (cwizard@nol.net)
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 12:13:23 -0600 (CST)

Original comments and replies retained for informative purposes only, I
hate huge threads too:

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Jason Williams wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Eric Ochoa [NOL Staff] wrote:
> > We do our best to provide a safe atmosphere for adults and children alike
> > to enjoy. I periodically monitor the ref from home and work, but there is
> > always someone on pretty much close to 24-7 (ie: Eddie) who does an
> > EXCELLENT job, I couldn't ask for anyone better.
>
> I'm sure he does do quite a good job on the Conference that he monitors
> (looks like conference 0). But it also looks like Conference 1 is the
> designated "room for kids" conference. That's another problem in general.
> Having multiple conferences is a great concept, but it also means that
> people can easily go to an unused public conference where it may not be as
> closely monitored or controlled. I'm guilty of this as well. I have a
> seperate educational conference on my reflector for the public but it
> isn't as closely monitored as Conference 0.

Those are good points, fortunately for us at this point any conference
besides 0 is usually empty (95% of the time). There is pretty much always
an open telnet session to the mpcs so I can check when people are in other
conferences, as well as the monitor interface on the web.

> Sorry to have offended you Eric...It was more of an observation for any
> reflector that tries to provide a "kid-safe" environment. Because your
> MPCS "server" is public means it requires more monitoring and control I
> believe. If you have that, that's cool. I certainly try to have it as
> well on my public reflector (er..."server" that is).

I agree.

> There's also the fact that there aren't explicit rules (ie: can't say
> certain words, etc) that make it fairly difficult to control the content
> and where it heads.

I agree here also, that's something I've been meaning to ammend via some
sort of web site for our MPCS. I already have a mailing list set up for
the monitors of our MPCS so we can comminicate effectively, as well as the
fact that it accepts mail from anywhere so others can let us know if a
propblem arises.

> Ultimately, I still say parents should monitor what their kids do on the
> internet. If parents want to let their kids loose on the internet, they
> should be prepared for what they can come across. But that's just my
> opinion. :)

Well I agree 100%, parents should take responsibility for what their
children do while they are online. Looking to the government or any thing
like that is just a cop out.

.o Eric Ochoa ............................... Phone [713] 467-7100 .o.
o Networks On-Line ......................... Pager [713] 268-9177 .o.
.o 10497 Town & Country Way #460 ............ Email erico@nol.net .o.