Re: Run CU-SeeMe Client and Reflector Simultaneously

Brian Godette (bgodette@idcomm.com)
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 15:09:30 -0700

At 08:35 AM 3/14/98 +0100, you wrote:
>Jason Williams schrieb:
>> On 12 Mar 1998, Alan Jarvi wrote:
>> > My question is, I would like to be able to run Brian Godette's
>> > reflector software, version 1.07b7 for Windows95, on my home
>> > Windows95 box (which is connected 24/7 via a cable modem), and
>> > at the same time use either the Cornell CU-SeeMe or WhitePine
CU-SeeMe
>> > clients to connect to the reflector.
>>=20
>> This can't be done because both the reflector and the client use the same
>> port (UDP port 7648). Since there's no way for the client to specify
>> which port to run on, you can only run one or the other..but not both.
>> This is the same reason why you can't run two copies of CU-SeeMe at the
>> same time. It's a limit of the reflector and the client.
>Ahhh.... That=B4s what JAVA-CU is for: JAVA-CU *must* run on the same
>server as the reflector does.. I thought it was a drawback.. it is a
>*feature* !!! So a JAVA-CU client is *the* solution !

Java-CU should really be called Java-NV since that is what it really is.
It's simply the CU-SeeMe B&W codec handling and RTP communication routines
from NV 3.3 rewritten in Java. Since it uses seperate ports on the client &
server it can be run on the same system as the reflector.